Contrary to popular beliefs, sailors are not superstitious. That’s claptrap the college folklorists made up to sell books. We are no more liable to think a bogyman is haunting our boat than the average person.
In my esteemed opinion, sailors are among the more rational of God’s creations.
- Sailing on a Friday is bad juju.
- Please do not come aboard with bananas – same as above.
- Please! No whistling
- It’s bad luck to disturb Blackie, our cat mascot; he brings us good luck.
- No sky pilots, or bead jinglers, are allowed on board ( ministers to the uninitiated).
- Never say anything bad about Davy Jones’ Locker. It’s where all our lost items go, and we’d like to have a chance at recovering them.
- Oh. One last thing, Jonah’s will be deep-sixed over the side. So, if you’re a Jonah, are worried that you might be a Jonah, or have ever been called a Jonah – don’t come near us!